Firm: Shindler, Anderson, Goplerud & Weese P.C.
Location: West Des Moines - IA
5015 Grand Ridge Drive, Suite 100
West Des Moines, IA 50265
- Tel : (515) 223-4567
- Fax : (515) 223-8887
- Email : email@example.com
Andrew B. Howie is a shareholder with the firm of Shindler, Anderson, Goplerud & Weese P.C. He earned his Bachelor’s Degree from Wartburg College in Waverly, Iowa, in 1993, and his J.D. with distinction from the University of Iowa in 1996. He is licensed to practice in Iowa (1996), the Northern and Southern Districts of the U.S. District Court of Iowa (1996), Eighth Circuit of the U.S. Court of Appeals (1996), and the U.S. Supreme Court (1999). After graduating from law school in 1996, he served as a clerk for the Iowa District Court in Burlington for a year. Mr. Howie has practiced in Polk County since 1997.
He primarily practices in appellate law, having appeared in over 200 rulings from Federal and Iowa’s appellate courts, and hundreds of family law cases in trial court. He has been a member of the Iowa State Bar Association’s Family and Juvenile Law Section since 2002, having served as its Chair (2009–10), Vice-chair (2008–09), and chair of its Forms and Practice subcommittee (2004–08, 2010–present). He has been a member of Iowa State Bar Association’s Appellate Practice Committee since 2004 and served as its Chair from 2012 to 2013.
He was inducted into the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers as a Fellow in 2019. He also became a Fellow with the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers in 2015. In 2019, the National Board of Trial Advocacy board-certified him as a Trial Advocate in Family Law.
He authored the Iowa State Bar Association’s “Family Law Manual”, published in 2008, 2012, and 2018, which is primary tool for judges and attorneys throughout Iowa.
Honors and Awards
- American Academy of Appellate Lawyers, Fellow.
- 2017-2021 American Institute of Family Law Attorneys – 10 Best in Iowa
- Board-certified Trial Advocate in Family Law, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow
- AVVO Superb Rating 10 of 10
- 2015 Nation’s Top One Percent Distinguished Counsel
- 2011-2014 Super Lawyers
- Iowa, 1996
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Iowa, 1996
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Iowa, 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1998
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1999
- University of Iowa College of Law, Iowa City, Iowa
- Honors: With Distinction
- Honors: Moot Court Board
- Wartburg College, Waverly, IA
- Major: Political Science
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Iowa Supreme Court Family Law Case Processing Task Force, Steering Committee
- Iowa State Bar Association, Family Law Section, Past-Chair, Past-Vice chair, Member
- Iowa State Bar Association, Appellate Practice Committee, Past-Chair, Member
- Iowa State Bar Association, Jury Instructions Committee, Member
- Iowa State Bar Association, Member
- Polk County Bar Association, Member
- Polk County Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Iowa Association for Justice, Member
- American Academy of Appellate Lawyers, Fellow
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow
- Board Certified Advocate in Family Law, National Board of Trial Advocacy
Past Employment Positions
- Iowa Judicial District 8 (B), Law Clerk, 1996–1997
- Family Law Manual, published by the Iowa State Bar Association
- In re Marriage of Pazhoor, 971 N.W.2d 530 (Iowa 2022)
- Estate of Cawiezell v. Coronelli, 958 N.W.2d 842, 844 (Iowa 2021)
- Ruden v. Peach, 904 N.W.2d 410 (Iowa Ct. App. 2017)
- Hensch v. Mysak, 902 N.W.2d 822 (Iowa Ct. App. 2017)
- Christy v. Lenz, 878 N.W.2d 461 (Iowa Ct. App. 2016)
- In re Marriage of Sisson, 843 N.W.2d 866 (Iowa 2014)
- Shams v. Hassan, 829 N.W.2d 848 (Iowa 2013)
- Skow v. Goforth, 618 N.W. 2d 275 (Iowa 2000)
Shindler, Anderson, Goplerud & Weese P.C.
Shindler, Anderson, Goplerud & Weese P.C., has a strong appeals practice that includes civil and criminal appeals. Attorney Andrew B. Howie handles the appeals at our firm. He handles a wide range of appeals including family law, property disputes, commercial litigation, criminal defense, personal injury, medical malpractice and much more.
Andrew Howie has represented hundreds of clients in appeals to the Iowa Supreme Court and Iowa Court of Appeals.
Justice is getting what you deserve. Our law firm offers zealous legal representation unique to each client’s needs. We provide our clients with creative, cost effective, result-oriented service generated by the wisdom gained from thousands of cases and years of experience.
The Shindler, Anderson, Goplerud & Weese Law Firm’s reputation of integrity and the highest quality of legal work has earned the respect and confidence of our clients and competitors. The Firm has played a central role in thousands of lives: from a client who is wrongfully denied hard-earned wages by his employer, to a woman who is injured in an accident, to a family who is faced with the difficulties of divorce.
Whether your needs include family law areas such as divorce, child custody, child support, alimony, or estate planning, criminal defense, and appeals to the Supreme Court, the Firm is known for its ingenuity, skill, and aggressiveness in representing its clients. Our firm includes top-notch attorneys with more than 150 years of combined legal experience, strong academic credentials and community ties.
Our firm is committed to providing you with professional, trustworthy, compassionate and effective service. We provide each client with competent, aggressive and personalized representation. We understand that the legal process can be overwhelming. It is our goal to make the process as simple and efficient as possible for our clients.