Firm: Orsinger Nelson Downing & Anderson
Location: Dallas - TX
5950 Sherry Ln., #800
Dallas, TX 75225
- Tel : (214) 273-2400
- Fax : N/A
- Email : email@example.com
Brad is known for his experience and excellence in complex litigation involving interpretations of law and cases regarding jurisdictional disputes. With a long track record in complicated, sophisticated cases, he handles all types of family litigation matters including divorce, complex property division, high-net-worth cases, business valuation issues, division of estates, jurisdiction challenges, interstate and international child custody disputes, and marital agreement litigation. He also drafts marital agreements including premarital, postmarital and partition agreements.
Brad is one of the few appellate family lawyers in Texas. During his nearly two decades in practice, he has achieved success in dozens of cases in Texas appeals courts and the Texas Supreme Court, as well as the U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals. He has handled appeals involving all areas of family law, including interstate and international custody, property division, award of property, habeas corpus, grandparent v. parent rights, bill of review, post-divorce disputes, alimony disputes, parentage issues and father’s rights.
Brad is admitted to practice as a member of the State Bar of Texas, U.S. Courts of Appeals for the 1st, 5th, 6th and 11th Circuits, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Brad earned the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children Award of Merit in 2005 based on his work before the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in a case involving The Hague Convention and the civil aspects of international child abduction. He has earned recognition in The Best Lawyers in America from 2016-2022 and has been among the state’s leading family law attorneys on Thomson Reuters’ Texas Super Lawyers list every year since 2004. He also has earned recognition on D Magazine’s Best Lawyers in Dallas list and their Top Lawyers Under 40.
Brad is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, demonstrating his ongoing commitment to excellence in this area of law. Board Certification requires continuing education and involvement in the issues of family law, including marriage, adoption, divorce, custody, support and ownership of property acquired before and during marriage.
Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, Dallas, Texas
- J.D. cum laude – 1996
Trinity University, San Antonio, Texas
- B.A. – 1993
- What Your Business Lawyer Wants You to Know Before the Settlement – Mediation, Advanced Family Law Drafting Dec. 2019 Sidebar Articles, D. Magazine 2019
- The Royal Wedding and the Role of Prenups, Texas Lawyer July 2018
- The Executive Divorce, D Magazine Nov. 2017
- What to do When the Judge Rules Against You, Dallas Bar Headnotes Oct. 2017
- The Most Important Substantive Law Developments of 2016 (quoted in) Texas Lawyer Jan. 2017
- Texas Uses an Additional Tool to Collect Child Support, Texas Lawyer Oct. 5, 2016
- Top Five Danger Areas in Family Law, Texas Lawyer Apr. 4, 2016
- Common Family Law Errors, North Dallas Bar Association 2016
- 2015 Year in Review, Texas Lawyer Dec. 14, 2015
- 2015 Family Code Changes, Rockwall County Bar Association 2015
- 16 Years of UCCJEA Interstate Custody Jurisdiction in Texas, Texas Lawyer Apr. 16 2015
Honors and Awards
- Irving City Council, Elected 2012
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow
- Board Certified in Family Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2014, 2016-2022
- Top Lawyers Under 40, D Magazine, 2002, 2004, 2006
- Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, Legal Division, 2004 – 2021
- Top 100 Lawyers in Texas, Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, Legal Division, 2013 – 2021
- Top 100 Lawyers in Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, Legal Division, 2013 – 2021
- Texas Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, Legal Division, 2004
- Best Lawyers in America, Family Law, 2016 – 2022
- Best Lawyers in America, Appellate Law, 2016 – 2022
- National Center for Missing and Exploited Children Award of Merit, 2005
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (2009-present)
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists (2001-present)
- State Bar of Texas (Family, Appellate Sections) (1996-present)
- State Bar Family Law Section Checklist Committee (2009)
- Dallas Bar Association (Family, Appellate Sections) (1996-present)
- Dallas Bar Association Family Law Section Board of Directors (2007-2009)
- Dallas Bar Association Clerk and Coordinator Training Seminar Planning Committee (2006)
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization (Family Law Legal Assistants Testing Commission 2006-2012)
- The Annette Stewart American Inn of Court (2006-2014)
- Knights of Columbus – 4th Degree
Orsinger, Nelson, Downing & Anderson
At Orsinger, Nelson, Downing & Anderson, we provide the best family law services to achieve the best outcome for you, your finances, and your children. For 25 years, our firm has litigated and mediated challenging and complex matrimonial and child custody matters with the experience, knowledge, and focus to address your needs and help reclaim your future.
Sometimes, being in trial court is just the first step. The appeal process is a discipline unique to itself. In a traditional appeal, a higher court will review the lower court’s decision to determine whether a decision was legally correct. There are times when you can’t wait to have the appellate court review a case in the normal appeal process. A writ of mandamus is an extraordinary remedy; however, it is not available in all cases. A habeas corpus is available when the judge has found someone in contempt and wrongfully put them in jail. Within this section of our site are more detailed explanations of the appellate process, including mandamus and habeas corpus.