Firm: Christian Small
Location: Birmingham - AL
505 North 20th Street
Suite 1800 Financial Center
Birmingham, Alabama 35203
- Tel : 205.795.6588
- Fax : 205.328.7234
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Partner Deborah Alley Smith’s practice is focused on post-judgment and appellate litigation. She devotes her time to research and writing and to preparing her partners for trial to ensure that significant issues are preserved in the event of an appeal. When it is necessary to seek post-judgment relief or to appeal (or the opposing side does so), Debbie assists in the post-judgment briefing and presentation and handles the appeal. Additionally, she often participates on trial teams in significant cases with an eye toward perfecting issues for appeal, and she is frequently enlisted to handle post-judgment motions and appeals in cases tried by lawyers at other firms – handling appeals in many state and federal courts. Debbie served as the firm’s managing partner for eleven years.
One of Debbie’s greatest legal victories was briefing, arguing and winning a case before the United States Supreme Court. She says that at first she was skeptical about seeking review in the Supreme Court, but when she started researching the matter, Debbie knew it was exactly the type of case the Supreme Court should take and should reverse. The Court agreed, and the experience taught Debbie that she should never judge too quickly or underestimate the power of creative and sound legal arguments.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Fellow, American Academy of Appellate Lawyers
- Fellow, The American Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Alabama Law Foundation
- Fellow, Birmingham Bar Foundation
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in Chambers USA for Litigation: Appellate (Band 1)
- Selected for inclusion in the 2017 Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2007-2020 in the fields of Appellate Practice and Commercial Litigation; 2012-2020 in the field of Insurance Law; 2020-2021 in the field of Litigation – Insurance; 2014 Birmingham Insurance Law “Lawyer of the Year,” 2011 Birmingham Appellate “Lawyer of the Year”
- Selected for inclusion in Alabama Super Lawyers® in 2008-2015 in the field of appellate law and 2008-2011 in the field of business litigation; in Mid-South Region Super Lawyers in 2016-2020 in the field of appellate law
- Listed as one of the Top 25 Women Super Lawyers in Alabama in 2008-2015; Top 50 Women Mid-South Super Lawyers, 2016-2020; Top 50 Alabama Super Lawyers, 2019-2020, 2011 – 2016; Top 50 Birmingham Super Lawyers, 2019 – 2020
- Selected for inclusion in Benchmark Litigation’s list of Alabama Litigation Future Stars 2011; listed as Local Litigation Star in the field of appellate practice; listed in Top 250 Women in Litigation 2012 – 2014, 2020
Christian & Small is a multi‐disciplinary regional law firm with a global perspective. Our attorneys serve individuals and established regional, national and international companies, as well as emerging businesses. Clients rely on Christian & Small for innovative legal services that reflect a deep understanding of the law and their businesses.
Our firm is headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama, with additional offices in metro-Jackson, Mississippi, and the Alabama Gulf Coast, providing us a strategic geographic base from which to serve clients on a statewide basis and throughout the Southeast.